View Single Post
Old 28-12-2019, 20:22   #53
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Aye, that's not really a comparison.

Why doesn't everyone pay road tax? If we're making silly comparisons...

Quote:
But the brutal truth is that young adults born this century do not give a damn about the BBC. My 16-year-old daughter and her generation have no contact with the corporation.

These kids think David Attenborough is that nice old man saving the planet on Netflix. They are big on BuzzFeed. They get their *entertainment from YouTube, Netflix and Instagram.

Even Facebook and Twitter seem horribly old hat to these teenagers. The BBC inspires no love at all in the millennial heart. To these 21st Century sprogs, born with a smart phone in their hand, the idea of paying £154.50 a year to the BBC is absurd.

Increasingly, it seems absurd to even those of us who fondly remember Bill And Ben, The *Flowerpot Men. The licence fee is a telly poll tax from another century.
I mean that's pretty much as accurate as it gets. Except you can factor in some of those born in the 90's and even late 80's, they too (myself included) have also embraced a new age of media delivery. The BBC studied this themselves in 2018, it'll only have gotten worse since.

Quote:
The BBC said it had found that 16- to 24-year-olds spend more time with Netflix in a week than with all of BBC TV including the BBC iPlayer.
The corporation also said that for the first time it had found in the final quarter of last year that 15- to 34-year-olds spent more time listening to streaming music services than all of BBC radio: five hours versus four hours 30 minutes a week.
It doesn't get anymore conclusive.

I'll make a deal, I'll support the TV licence, but someone pay my Netflix and Amazon subscription, they offer great quality original programming worldwide and even if you don't watch them without the fees, world renowned shows like The Witcher, The Expanse, The Grand Tour and Stranger Things wouldn't get made. Edit: Forgot to mention, it's ad-free. Bask in the absolute absurdity of that.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 28-12-2019 at 21:39.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote