View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 16:59   #1355
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The Independent gave up being politically neutral years ago, when they realised that newspapers that lack a clear voice also lack a loyal readership.

It does not overtly associate itself with any particular political party, but its outlook is overwhelmingly socially liberal, economically internationalist soft-left and, on the European issue, it practically foams at the mouth for Remain.

The BBC is reporting the issue now, using its usual weasel words formula "The government is facing a backlash from MPs" as cover for trumping up the story. In fact, their report quotes two Liberal Democrats (Lib Dems still think we should be doing things jointly with the EU, shock horror) and the limp and ineffectual John Ashworth, who to be fair to him is Labour's heath spokesman for at least the next few weeks until his boss shuffles off to the allotment so we'll cut him some slack.

Again, the EU issue generates a lot of heat but very little light. There are still plenty of people who think anything done in concert with the EU must on a point of principle be better than anything we plan and execute for ourselves. They would have us believe that they are prepared to tolerate Brexit in normal times but they still think that in a crisis, our only hope is to go running back to Brussels.

HMG does not subscribe to that view and neither do I.
There are those who think anything being done by the EU must be bad, and we must be able to do better ourselves.

I believe there is a major difference between "being offered help" and "running back to Brussels" - we should be doing what’s right for the NHS and those affected by the pandemic.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.