View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 14:18   #55
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yep Den. I've never seen him come over as this before. I get it he's a Star War fan but I also know he's a big SciFi fan like me.
sure am a scifi fan and I am normally very chilled out and would give something like this the benefit of doubt even if I wasn't too sure about it because up and till now I have not wanted to take the risk of losing out on a semi-decent scifi film but The Last Jedi has left me very bitter. What you have got to think of is that it is getting very close to release and we have hardly heard anything. There are only two explanations for it a) they don't have a lot of confidence in it and are keeping it very close to their chest to avoid people like me making these types of comments (which is why you hardly saw him in the first teaser) b) Disney know Infinity War is probably going to be the biggest film of the year and are putting all their eggs in one basket. I know the films are a month apart but if I were them I wouldn't be holding my breath for Solo and throwing everything I had at Infinity War.

Brings me to another example and good point though following on from my Chris Pine example. When I saw the trailer for Infinity War and heard the theme music and voices I just froze and I can't describe the emotions and feeling that went through my body. You can just tell it is going to be awesome and it isn't because of the action and special effects. It is all about the carefully crafted characters and their personalities. You might say I can't compare Infinity War because it isn't a prequel and is based on the same era of characters that we know so lets talk about Black Panther. I know it isn't a prequel but it is something new which gelled perfectly into the MCU, fantastic story and so many excellent characters. When I saw Danai Gurira I didn't think "oh there is Michonne from TWD trying to do something different for a few extra $$$ between seasons". I just this amazing character Okeye who is a kickass General and a truly believable performance. I don't get any of that from Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I wonder if he'll use the same criteria to the Lost In Space remake?
sure will but not in the context of this thread though. The last time I saw Lost in Space was when I was 8 so that was 30 years ago. Literally all I can remember is the Dr's face and the robot flapping his arms saying "danger Will Robinson". It will however be subject to my "realism factor" and if anything it will be eligible for harsher criticism that normal. Coincidentally I read the feature on it in SFX this morning and the writers were saying how although this is a scifi series, it is all about the drama and relationships between the family members and how they overcome obstacles in the new and unpredictable situations. It is people's behaviour/reactions which bug me the most (e.g. stupid f*ing Rose in TLJ) so if they do something stupid which I think is unrealistic. It is scifi and fantasy so the story and situations thrust upon will be unrealistic and fantastical in terms of today's science but if we believe that universe exists (e.g Star Trek/MCU) then when we witness events happening we ask ourselves "how would I react in that situation?" Everyone is different so it isn't always a case of what I would do but "would somebody actually do that having evaluated the circumstances of their situations and decided what the best course of action is". I'll let you if I have any gripes with Lost in Space. First impressions from the trailer though look amazing and like I said with the gloves last week, when you have got a team who care so much about the detail and making everything as "realistic" as possible, I am not expecting there to be anything wrong with and am looking forward to lying down and immersing myself in an amazing story.

I have been holding myself back from moaning but I have finally caught up with X-Files. I watched season 10 yesterday and started season 11 this morning. Putting the stories aside and how far fetched some of the stuff is, the way the characters are reacting to some situations is not in keeping with what we know and that is all I am going to say for the moment.

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-04-2018 at 14:33.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote