View Single Post
Old 19-08-2007, 12:45   #18
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Antivirus / anti spyware / Firewall, and computer health thread

Advice please

I acquired a new machine (HP lap) that comes with Norton "3 months free" as part of the package. I have NOT, repeat NOT, activated/ registered the Norton facility in any way - and have no intention of doing so because my one experience with Norton a year or so ago was a disaster. ANYWAY I have McAfee with a licence for 3 machines as part of my home business set up so I can freely install McAfee on the laptop.

OK, there will be many who tell me McAfee is just as bad as Norton - but I have used McAfee for 6 years with no problems.

When I try to install McAfee it tells me that the machine has Norton and they will clash. It does have Norton but not "activated". McAfee does not seem to cope with that. If I try to use add/ delete programs to remove Norton the damned thing tells me I must have it running before I can delete it. BUT - I do not want to activate and run Norton.

I am sure it is not viable to simply delete all the Symantics folders from the C drive. I did try just renaming them because that sometimes fools a 'launch' option of may have fooled McAfee - but without success

Guidance form the technically minded will be appreciated

SV
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote