Thread: US Timeline Star Trek: Discovery
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2017, 10:12   #91
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think it would have made things easier continuity wise as well. If you watch Enterprise then Star Trek (i.e. following the actual chronology), it actually looks like Starfleet's technology took a massive step backwards, because the special effects were so much better on Enterprise. I'm not even thinking of the exterior shots, the on set console displays were far better.

Discovery has a tough act to follow. They have a good consulting producer Nicholas Meyer (who directed The Wrath of Kahn and the Undiscovered Country and is one of two people credited with keeping the franchise alive after the relative failure of The Motion Picture). If he is still as good a writer as he was during those two films, and if he is directly involved, I think it will do well. It seems to have a good team behind it.

I think TNG was always going to be a difficult series to follow (although DS9 did a good job). Although it had some very bad episodes (the first half of season one and a lot of season 7 for instance), it had some of the best episodes I've seen in any TV series. I think one of the things I liked about TNG is that in some of the best stories, the actual setting was almost irrelevant, which meant that some of the best episodes almost weren't sci fi.
I think the plan with this though was to make the sets and tech match as close as possible to the original series so it fits in without looking really out of place. Some of Enterprise worked in that was as the ship resembeled a modern submarine internally in respect to corridors and doors.