View Single Post
Old 13-03-2019, 21:47   #663
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Multiple billion pound bid ?

You do realise that both BT and Sky combined are paying the Premier League nearly £4.6 billion in its latest rights deal.

The Middle East and China plus other overseas markets are growth markets some netting the Premier League nearly double the previous rights , I can't see the league committing all their global rights to one provider it just wouldn't make sense.

As for bundling multi billion dollar UK rights into a Prime subscription how much is that likely to push up Prime especially for those who don't like Football.
If Amazon offered a lot more than the £4.6billion, I think the Premier League would seriously consider it, yes. Better to deal with one company, than dozens of them.

On UK rights, I would expect Amazon to play some trickery pokery with bundling, to mask the costs to the consumer in the same way that Sky etc do with their bundles.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
No one company is allowed to have exclusivity in the UK market as I am sure you must be aware. Not sure what the competition law is around the rest of the world.
The tech companies have a lot of dosh, some of that no doubt would be spent on lobbying politicians. But I agree, its a hurdle for now.