View Single Post
Old 13-03-2019, 12:36   #4999
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread that I didn't see Netflix surviving into the long term, but with millions of new customers each month, I'm not so sure now. It will take one hell of a effort for Disney or anyone else to catch up with them.

The problem with Netfllix is where is their killer content? Ok, they have (or did) have House of Cards, Stranger Things and Lost in Space. Disney has Star Wars, Marvel and Mickey Mouse and those brands have lasted many decades now.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that Disney (and others) will be a major player in the streaming world and we'll just have to wait and see what, if any, will be the knock-on effect on Netflix.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree with a lot of what OB, says, the dozens of channels on Virgin and Sky are mostly garbage imo, if I didn't like football I wouldn't subscribe to Virgin, I'd just watch whatever I wanted on Netflix or Amazon, the footie is the only thing that keeps me with Virgin.
My issue with the channels is not the programming themselves, but quite often the lack of genuine choice.

An example I have used before is NCIS. This show is on at least three channels in the evenings and that excludes +1s and HD versions. That is not choice.

Streaming will replace the bulk of these channels as they exist to mostly to show archive material which can be better handled by streaming.