View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 10:50   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Will it cope if someone happens to throw up a large building between you and your local Mobile base station?

Actually, I don't think Fixed line broadband is going away anytime soon. Why? Backhaul. While it is feasible to have mobile base stations connect to each other via Microwave links, they also need some fibre backhaul network to connect them to both the mobile phone network and, ultimately, the internet. The fibre backhaul also provides a higher capacity than the Microwave link.

Running a dedicated fibre to each base station would be relatively expensive, so the mobile providers tend to lease connections to the local fixed-line broadband networks, whether they are BT, Virgin or whoever. These networks are largely paid for by the users of fixed-line broadband.

Richard mentioned it would enable you to have one provider for all your internet needs, at home and out and about, but I would question the value of this. I have Virgin media at home, and my current Mobile network is 3. I am happy with both, and I don't see the advantage of having both provided by one company. Even if I did, it's perfectly feasible to have that now.
I was thinking that, as a superior service, people would use 5G whilst at home and away from home. I suppose whether it was unlimited or not would affect the decision to do this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote