View Single Post
Old 17-07-2021, 15:08   #40
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: Welsh required for jobs

She was asked to attend evening classes, I don't know about the duration of those classes. I don't believe the conversation went that far.

The ability to affirm someone's right to make contact in a language other than English, would surely mean the person knowing enough of the language to direct them to someone fluent who can help with their query. If the requirement is for the person to learn to say parrot fashion, "good morning", "good afternoon" etc then that is surely a pointless exercise. The only thing there being gained then is the nationalists have scored a point. Personally knowing a few Plaid supporters, they are all to keen to point out on social media etc and make a big thing of any slight mistakes being made.

I would disagree that government policy was the only reason that drove the language to extinction, one side of my family were non-Welsh speakers and came here to work in the industry. The other side of the family came here from a Welsh speaking area of North Wales, they didn't teach their children (my grandfather) Welsh because there was no practical point. The language spoken down the mines and other industries in the South East Wales area was English. Presumably it was safer down the mines if everyone spoke the same language. (Like South Africa where they created a common language for use in the mines)

Whilst looking through the national archives a couple of years ago, I came across an article about the school my grandfather attended. The newspaper article was from the early 1900s just before he was born, and it was saying that they were having trouble teaching children Welsh as they were unable to employ any teachers who spoke Welsh.

I can understand parents wanting to teach their children the Welsh language at home, but I cannot see the use of it being taught in school. I was lucky enough to be schooled before compulsory/mandatory (The Welsh nationalists like to point out the difference) Welsh classes, but I did have to suffer the poor offerings of S4C instead of C4 in the analogue terrestrial TV days. The Welsh nationalists were of course very proud of S4C, and would often boast that it was the most expensive programme per viewer to produce in the world.