View Single Post
Old 09-05-2023, 08:33   #18
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Referee's need retrain and VAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Decisions have gone for us, and against us, but yes, Id rather have it, than not.
I can only think of one I thought was wrong, but the issue with handballs is they are still subjective (as are some fouls) VAR or otherwise.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

A rule is a rule, it doesnt matter if they are 3 mm offside or 3 meters offside.
They are and realistically it does seem to shift the decision from the ref's view to the VAR's view.

Even last night I think Felipe was probably offside but not sure if that could have been seen properly in normal time. So we had VAR micro-analyse it for ages. The two pens probably weren't and if they hadn't been given then VAR probably wouldn't have been involved, but, there was definitely contact on Johnson unlike the one where Surridge apparently fouled their player near the end, which even from the replays Sky showed looked like there was no contact at all, so why didn't VAR spot this? And there's the inconsistency of checking x seconds back to see if anyone was marginally offside in the build up.

I can think of maybe a couple of times where VAR has given us an advantage where it has over-ruled an incorrect decision from the refs, probably the first goal vs Leics is the obvious one, but every time we've had the ball in the net vs Man Utd this season VAR has saved it (maybe they should get VAR to play in goal with DDG's form!) and the pen we were given at home to Brentford was given wrongly by VAR, as well as last week away at them where for their 2nd they had a player clearly offside right in the view of Navas when their player shot to score, should have been ruled out because a player in the middle of the pitch is in play.

With offsides in general it does seem to be a bit of a debate as to whether players are offside if certain parts of their body are behind the last defender and also where the lines are drawn. I think the other week Bamford was called offside with his arm, which of course you can't play the ball with. It needs a bit of consistency and maybe some automation like calls in tennis.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote