View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 11:44   #253
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
The BBC probably have to pay for the rights to broadcast sports programs - especially live events - as do others like Sky & BT etc.
They also have to pay writers, producers, actors, cameramen, sound engineers etc etc to make the programs they air, and that's not even touching upon the research, travel, accommodation needed for those rather excellent nature programs they provide.
You may watch the news for 30 minutes, but there's a lot more than 30 minutes of work goes into it.

The BBC don't 'do' adverts so rely on their income from the license fee or by selling their programs to other companies.

ITV have the same costs, but generated by advertising and selling their programs to other broadcasters.

If I made something (or had the rights to something) and another company wanted to use it, I'd be a fool to let them have it for nothing. I would either sell or hire that product to others . . . and if they didn't like that arrangement, well feel free to make your own

I'm sure they pay for content, although sport can't cost much because Wimbledon apart there is very little on.

They could make a lot of savings - paying 1.5 million for Lineker to front football highlights is a massive waste as is paying a fortune to have 2 newsreaders plus a weather person, a sports person and a business person on breakfast news. Why so many? Because they don't care how much they spend as it is given to them rather than earns.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote