View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:14   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Any disadvantages to using 3rd party router/modem mode on SH3?

More wires, more power. You have to handle firmware updates. Another box. More blinken lights (I can switch mine off - others likely the same).

More seriously if there is an issue support can be a little harder. VM may ask you to remove 3rd party devices for checking if you do see service issues.

That said support for your new device is likely to be easy to find if you stick to the main vendors but you do have to deal with the fanboi stuff as well (Netsys is better than Linkgear).

I use a router and SH3 in modem mode and have very little problems. I can usually get support without removing my router also as it's normally clear from the SH3 that the issue is between it and VM network (no nice solid magenta light on front).