View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 17:09   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: I can't get emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.
Fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Just as an FyI, gmail will only import via POP3 - which is an old technology. It won't synchronise anything like read status or anything like that (So you'll possibly get a deluge of emails at first, dating back who knows how far) and if you have folders other than "inbox", it won't pull those in either. It also won't pull in your sent items.

It looks like a complicated setup, but it's more straightforward than you might think. In gmail, go into your settings, under "account and import" there's an option to add email accounts from elsewhere. It'll first ask what your email address is - so type that in. Next it'll ask you if you want to import those emails - you do, so click next. On the next screen it asks for your username and password- that's the same username and password you log into your emails with, so your email address is the username and your password is your password.

Below that it asks for the server to use - by default it'll say pop3.ntlworld.com but this is wrong, you need to select that, click "other" and type in pop3.virginmedia.com instead. Leave the "port" as 995 and look at the other options to decide how you want it to import. That's it.
Thanks very much. I'm sure a few folks will find that useful.

Just an update, I have had a look at the relevant accounts and realised that on the most important ones I'd already set them to forward incoming mail to one of my Hotmail accounts so I have that going back quite a few years. Over time the amount of important mail that's been getting fowarded has been very small as I've been replying to those emails from the Hotmail account they'd been forwarded to. So to cut a long story short, after deleting all the garbage in the old accounts there's not much that needs to be done except forward anything important which was incoming prior to me setting up the forwarding and mail I've sent from them which is very little thankfully.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by Osem; 09-09-2017 at 17:21.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote