View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 10:23   #597
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So are we likely to see the iPlayer become a shadow of its former self ? At the moment my licence fee allows me to watch a considerable amount of Boxset content on iPlayer.
I don't know the answer to that, muppetman. If there is to be a charge for the UK version of Britbox, then I think the i-Player will continue as it does now. However if there is no charge to UK viewers, Britbox UK will almost certainly replace the i-Player.

The reason I think this is that the Government will most likely insist that licence fee payers continue to have access to a free streaming service from the BBC.

I wouldn't absolutely rule out a hybrid, where part of Britbox is free but you can subscribe to a premium version of it. I think it is unlikely, though, for the simple reason that this may be less politically acceptable.