View Single Post
Old 16-10-2018, 14:26   #14
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Different (correct) ways of spelling the same words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Gaol and jail. I hate that Jail seemed to be more uniformly used. I love the eccentricities of the English language.
That is more of an olde English spelling and is not really used any longer.

I noticed that many of the suggested different spellings of words are actually not the same word at all, and people are getting confused with what words and their meanings are. A lot of the time its the American English version.

This one below is slightly different though as both are sort of correct

Spelled and spelt - the American English past tense form is spelled. In other varieties of English, both spelled and spelt are common. So, if you're in the United States, you would probably write it like this: The past tense of the verb “spell” can be spelled in two ways.