View Single Post
Old 15-05-2018, 17:45   #244
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

....exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Virgin and TalkTalk discuss deal over broadband sharing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...dband-sharing/
I'm not sure if the article is accurately interpreting what may happen.

TalkTalk have already done trials with Sky over sharing costs of FTTP infrastructure and I see this as the same sort of thing. I doubt VM will allow access to its existing network, but we'll see. This seems to be about sharing the cost of going into new areas.

As VM has found out with its Project Lightening expansion, it takes a lot of time and dosh. So, to farm out half the cost and work to someone else makes a lot of sense to me, especially as TalkTalk isn't a serious competitor anymore.

I think the key thing on future networks, will be to see what the result of who buys Sky is and whether that organisation makes a serious play to invest in FTTP infrastructure or not.

Everyone knows, regardless of whatever rules there are, that BT is not going to make it easy for fibre operators to use its infrastructure. We need at least one other network other than BT and VM to give us some choice.

I would expect the small FTTP operators (CityFibre, Hyperoptic etc) to join forces too at some point and/or perhaps they'll be bought by someone like Sky or Vodafone.

There are many nationwide fibre optic networks. They run along the canals, bridges etc all across the country. Where we lack is those lines going "the last mile" into homes and BT will do fcuk all about FTTP unless it has to.