View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 22:29   #4
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Is This Possible? DSL + Router to Router to PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiao View Post
I want to upgrade my wireless to N, with the possibility of changing to Cable internet in the near future.

I already own the DSL modem/rotuer, i dont want to purchase an other DSL modem/router to make my wireless N, then buy an other N router when i move to virgin media. This way when i do move to virgin media, i can just remove the DSL modem/router and work whit my N router.

I hope thats understandable

I will probably turn off all the firewall and security feature, and forward all ports, put it on DMZ mode on the DG834GT (the the DSL) and leave them on, in the new router. So i will only deal with the N router when it comes to port forwarding etc
You can probably get away with using a wireless N cable router connected to your ADSL router, and set to dial the ADSL router via PPPoE. The wireless would be only on the cable router, not the ADSL one, and when you do switch to a cable modem, all you have to do is change the settings appropriately, the access point stays the same.

So LAN on DSL router -> WAN on cable router.

The only way you can be guaranteed to have a good ADSL and cable connection on the same router is via Draytek routers. The Draytek Vigor 2820n is a good wireless N router with an ADSL port and a WAN port suitable to plug your cable modem in. As a disclaimer, it's not cheap. The cheapest I found one for was about £160.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote