View Single Post
Old 18-07-2008, 16:01   #12108
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK with regards the opt-in thing. The BT information which was sent out directly by BT regarding the upcoming trials made it very clear that if you block the webwise domain during the trials you will not be able to use the web. So it would seem even those not opted in will still go through the DPI kit if they are on an exchange where the trial is taking place. Note that the information stated specifically that if you have been invited to take part in the trial (not if you accept that invite) you will need to make sure webwise is NOT blocked for your surfing to continue to work. This supports the theory that the entire exchange will be Phormed irrespective of opt-in/opt-out - in other words the model hasn't changed even remotely from the model Richard Clayton analysed some months ago.

snip

Alexander Hanff
On 20th March I was told in a BT email, that one way I could deal with the Webwise trial invitation was to block the webwise.net domain. Subsequent information from BT (see above) would appear to suggest that this would actually deal very effectively with Webwise but with the unfortunate side effect of giving me an error page to look at no matter where I wanted to go on the internet.

I was also told on that same date, that if I chose not to take part, I would not have my browsing information mirrored or profiled, and no information would go to the BT managed profiler. No information would be gathered, and therefore no information would be forwarded to Phorm. If I opted out, I would not come into contact with any Phorm-managed equipment.

(Note they have avoided using the word intercepted)

I can see where their wriggle room is on that last phrase "phorm managed equipment" but I take issue with the claim that by opting out of the trial after receiving an invite no information would go to the BT managed profiler.

It's been one long confused mess really in terms of what BT have understood and said, about this Webwise trial.

The relevant section of ONE version of the published BT Webwise FAQ
http://beta.bt.com/bta/forums/ann.jspa?annID=64 and Q21 says:
21. Is my data still viewed when I am not participating?
Your data is not 'viewed' even if you are participating. The system simply applies relevant advertising to a non-identifiable random number. When you choose not to take the service, or switch off, it's off. 100%. No browsing data whatsoever is looked at or processed by BT Webwise. Those who have opted out will not have their browsing information mirrored or profiled. No information is gathered, and therefore no information is forwarded to Phorm. Customers who opt out will not come into contact with any Phorm-managed equipment.

I suppose I need to do some detailed exegesis of that large pile of emails from BT managers to tease out the inconsistencies and exact wording of what they were telling me.