Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 08:09   #58
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What you fail to address is the fact that the method I have described will reduce deaths as well as protect the economy. You have just used pure emotion to try to twist everything and to be argumentative.

The key is to protect the vulnerable, particularly those in care homes. Most of the healthy population will scarcely get any symptoms at all. The medical experts are now coming around to this view themselves.
Can you evidence that it’ll reduce deaths and protect the economy?

No. It’s entirely speculative. Sweden’s economy is tanking, they’re now also heading into a second wave like everyone else.

I haven’t seen any scientist join the “herd immunity” camp. The Great Barrington declaration was funded by an economic think tank, signed by some physios and experts in “alternative medicine”. In addition to the evidence above can you find me scientists who were in favour of lockdown restrictions now saying to let it rip through society?

Quote:
Many people were describing this as flu in the early days. Technically it is not flu, but actually it is very similar in many ways. If I remember correctly, SARS was called flu as well. It is a layman’s term. It’s killing more people than our normal flu strains because there has not been immunity built up and there is no vaccine.

Scared? If I was scared I wouldn’t be doing the school runs and living my life as normally as possible.
“As possible” is an interesting caveat.

Fundamentally you don’t want to be in the 50-70%, but are happy for people in low paid, precarious work on public transport, retail, hospitality and even some NHS workers to put themselves at risk for a policy that is a) unproven in medical terms and b) doesn’t protect the economy because like you nobody wants to be in the 50-70%.

Even just last week there was a case of a 74 year old, obese man with underlying health conditions staging a miraculous recovery with experimental treatments. Every day treatments are getting better and we get closer to a vaccine.

If it’s really about the economy why aren’t you advocating funding an effective public health response and the tried and tested measures from South Korea, New Zealand and other south east Asian countries?

If there’s one thing OB it’s that you’ve been ignoring the inevitable throughout this crisis and the longer significant numbers of people like you deny it the longer and more painful in health and economic terms this will be.

Last edited by jfman; 12-10-2020 at 08:17.