View Single Post
Old 17-06-2020, 11:51   #1390
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree and have long said the same, which I call true smart tv or intelligent tv.

In some ways, we've already had little tasters of things to come, ie on some BBC One dramas, you could press the red button to watch the next episode taking you outside of the linear schedule and I think there will be a lot more of that to come.

Which is why I keep saying that I reckon that the bulk of the sat/cable pay tv channels will disappear in the end, as these are mainly showing repeats from the main channels. Once there is a true intelligent tv system, there simply isn't a need for all these linear channels. Don't be surprised to see a Netflix 1 and Netflix 2 in the near future as earlier examples of what's to come.

Nobody wants to wade through endless menus, but we also want "some" control of what we watch and how we spend our time, hence the on demand and linear worlds will come together.
This is the thing - linear is not dead and it’s going to evolve - hell some people could also argue that Netflix autostarting a new recommendation after finishing a show/movie is no different from a linear channel feeding a new show.

And this idea that on-demand is the future? It’s already happening - we don’t need to wait till 2035

The real question is how are all these disparate things going to evolve especially as we see the legacy companies move into D2C, pay tv evolve into almost ‘mini bundles’ like HBO Max, companies like Pluto build growth via linear AVOD channels and how tv and film creation is financed as companies like Disney and NBCU/Sky become increasingly balkanised. This notion that it has to be all or nothing is ridiculous. Linear may no longer be the central focus but it has its place in the ecosystem, will likely evolve into more algorithmic/personalisation areas and find a way to serve on demand and vice versa.