View Single Post
Old 17-06-2020, 11:39   #1388
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
For example, NBCU’s Peacock service will have live streaming channels based around things like SNL and The Office so there is still some value given these linear channels provide some much needed curation when on demand can prove to be overwhelming - there is value in a ‘lean back’ experience and allow shows to just be fed to you and allow you to jump into an on demand experience directly from the episode or clip (which we already are seeing with things like BBC Restart on IPlayer)

Also I think linear channels will likely evolve into some form of personalisation/bespoke channel allowing your preferences to be fed to you in a linear fashion - I’m sure there is some innovation in linear tv yet to come.

Another example from Sky Italia who are going to trial a personalised tv experience - channels are mentioned so that could conceivably also mean some kind of linear experience;

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...rsonalised-tv/
I agree and have long said the same, which I call true smart tv or intelligent tv.

In some ways, we've already had little tasters of things to come, ie on some BBC One dramas, you could press the red button to watch the next episode taking you outside of the linear schedule and I think there will be a lot more of that to come.

Which is why I keep saying that I reckon that the bulk of the sat/cable pay tv channels will disappear in the end, as these are mainly showing repeats from the main channels. Once there is a true intelligent tv system, there simply isn't a need for all these linear channels. Don't be surprised to see a Netflix 1 and Netflix 2 in the near future as earlier examples of what's to come.

Nobody wants to wade through endless menus, but we also want "some" control of what we watch and how we spend our time, hence the on demand and linear worlds will come together.

Last edited by Horizon; 17-06-2020 at 11:42.