View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 15:25   #1387
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think it's interesting is that the future of linear TV includes apps like Pluto and is actually leading to an uplift in channels.
For example, NBCU’s Peacock service will have live streaming channels based around things like SNL and The Office so there is still some value given these linear channels provide some much needed curation when on demand can prove to be overwhelming - there is value in a ‘lean back’ experience and allow shows to just be fed to you and allow you to jump into an on demand experience directly from the episode or clip (which we already are seeing with things like BBC Restart on IPlayer)

Also I think linear channels will likely evolve into some form of personalisation/bespoke channel allowing your preferences to be fed to you in a linear fashion - I’m sure there is some innovation in linear tv yet to come.

Another example from Sky Italia who are going to trial a personalised tv experience - channels are mentioned so that could conceivably also mean some kind of linear experience;

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...rsonalised-tv/