View Single Post
Old 21-03-2008, 11:48   #1572
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrideXIII View Post
I have read this read daily from its conception, with fury, interest and a certain amount of awe at the reaction from users both of BT and Virgin.
I have registered only so that I can add my support, as you have all said pretty much all that needs to be said on the matter.

as a consumer, Virgin supply my entire communications package, TV, Phone and internet. I will move if they implement this in a way that I cannot CLEARLY and TOTALLY opt OUT without recourse to cookies. In effect, make it OPT IN or lose my £85 a month.
Its MY clickstream, you ain't having it.
As a web site owner, and hoster of clients websits, I am just as concerned at the amount of work I will have to do to prevent private postings, ecommerce ordering etc from being data-mined.
Personally I may be net-savvy, but I am no way tech trained enough to make this a simple task. Nor should I have to.

when I think of 'Joe Public' including my 74 year old Mum, bless her, who has enough trouble understanding how email works, I am shocked to the core that the governent is even considering allowing this at all!
it is their job to protect the average consumer, not ours!
It is clear to me, that Phorm,and the ISP's themslves are relying on the fact that people are too niave/net smart to see this for what it really is, A MASSIVE infringement of our personal privacy.

Keep Up the good work, pass the word wherever and whenever you can, cross post and link on every forum website you belong to regardless of what that webite is about, it concerns every user of the internet, and every website owner out there.

Don't get too sidetracked by the technical issues, its fine and right to want to understand how the system will work, and how it can be circumvented, but the main issue is it shouldn't be happening AT ALL!
I realise this post repeats previous views, however, the more people that say it, the more chance we have of being heard, and actually listened to.
Every person who registers and then posts in this thread has knocked another nail in the coffin of 121 media / Phorm

This has just been posted on the BT Phorm beta site This might relate to anyone on a BT ADSL provided service ?

Quote:
For those who have an IP blocker (e.g. PeerGuardian 2 is one that I use often) see if you get any of these following IP ranges appearing if you add them to your blocklist (all blocks will occur on port 80 so if you do use PG2, make sure HTTP is set to 'blocked' - this may cause several sites to be blocked that are not the result of blocking the BT servers, just to warn you in advance):

BT Midband Management 212.140.233.0 - 212.140.233.255
BT Midband tman 213.123.84.0 - 213.123.84.255
BT Midband BtnMidband 217.41.216.0 - 217.41.218.255

Chris Lowe

p.s. My password resets every day for some reason. While it may be a nuisance it will not deter me from participating in the forums here. Also, I would be most honoured if readers from other sites where BT & Phorm are being discussed make copies of the above IP addresses and post them on the other sites to see if anyone else is seeing what I'm seeing.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer