View Single Post
Old 20-03-2008, 23:37   #1561
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Blogtastic article by Sophos:

http://www.sophos.com/security/blog/2008/03/1187.html

Alexander Hanff
Good stuff! I like the bit about

"A worrying thing is that the information of every single page visited by the end user is accessed, inspected and classified by Phorm and the user’s browsing habits are tracked. Although Kent Ertegrul claims that no information is stored that is clearly not true.

[we know that] Cookies can be, with some effort, tracked to a particular browser (on a particular machine) and even to the actual user (or user’s ISP account) if the ISP’s systems get compromised. What disturbs even more is the fact that some trials have allegedly been conducted without the consent of end users during June 2007. This is a significant privacy problem, although not much worse than privacy leaks we are exposed to while browsing sites like Google or Amazon. This comes down to the question of trust. I will be more inclined to trust companies with good reputation such as Amazon than companies like Phorm whose practices are somewhat questionable and whose previous products included potentially unwanted applications."

brackets and emboldening are mine.

As an IT professional of 13 years experience, Sophos' word carries a lot of clout. A lot more than any number of PR people Phorm may decide to employ.