Thread: General Analogue Cable Memories
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 14:57   #14
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

@Onramp, thank you! These talkback modules, any idea what they looked like? I don't believe we had one. Also, if a return path was generally not present on analogue, would the company have been able to scan for modified or unscrupulous equipment and how? I looked up the ACC-4000, it's a computer that controlled the boxes right? Did you ever use one? What was the OS? I definitely saw a Windows 95 screen being broadcast on channel 40-something in 2004/2005 (was supposed to be displaying a static message from NTL, but a message box was stuck on top).

@Mr K, brilliant stories! Thanks

@spiderplant which countries generally? I'd go there, not for the scenery, not for the culture or anything I should supposedly be interested about, but simply for the fact they have analogue cable and I want to experience it once more lol

Another thing, obviously some digital information was transmitted to the boxes, like channel lineup, numbers, names, subscription etc. No doubt GI/Jerrold could have added a basic EPG and used that for reminders/planning. If that happened and the security was somehow better, we'd probably still be using it/able to purchase an analogue subscription today or at least 5 years ago (not that that's necessarily a good thing).

And, when Virgin Media updated their Liberate boxes from the Sky-lookalike blue (NTL) to the black and yellow interface, it reminded me a lot of the old GI/Jerrold interface, esp. the mini-guide in relation to the MENU on the GI box. Wonder if they took inspiration? On a side note, the current V6 boxes are a little bit reminiscent of the old GI boxes on the exterior. I miss having the 24hour clock on the front LCD panel, it was extremely useful (for knowing if you were gonna be late for boring school b/c you were busy watching cartoons lol) and I was gutted when that wasn't available on the Pace and Samsung digiboxes.

Would be nice if they could make a simple super quick interface, like the GI boxes had, with channels in the single and double digit range, interesting pop-up channels all year round and a nicely done touchscreen remote for navigation and planning. But I'm just daydreaming. Anyone use the landline anymore? Imagine if they revived Front Row and you could once again order movies by phone. I'm absolutely not sure, but crazily enough that might prove more engaging and interesting than on-demand if it was also available. I wouldn't be surprised if they advertised it well & got you to visit the trailers channel and call for a free movie, if that boosted the sales of PPV films.

Last edited by RWCable; 01-08-2018 at 15:38.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote