View Single Post
Old 21-02-2008, 21:40   #176
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
I've said it before but I thought it needed clarification.

Phorm use a cookie to store your Personal identification number or PIN so. blocking cookies from OIX.net (or indeed all cookies) means no PIN which means no data is collected.
So if the user sucessfully blocks the cookie from ever being stored on their system;

Does this mean that the usage data still gets sent to Phorm, but with no user ID number (i.e. truly anonymous for us, and next-to-useless to them)?
-or- does it mean that because there is no ID number, NO data gets sent to Phorm?
-or- does it mean that the usage data just gets sent with some other unique identifier supplied by the ISP instead?(perhaps something related to your physical cable line on the UBR)

Also, isn't it likely that if too many people take a dislike to this system and block the cookie by it's domain (e.g. in their router) then it's quick and simple enough for VM or Phorm to quietly change the domain of the data collection part of the system without telling us, thus bypassing the block?

I guess until someone tells us how this system will actually work (technically, not the vague, infantile rubbish in the FAQ on the Webwise site) then nobody will know whether their attempts to protect their privacy are working or not...