View Single Post
Old 15-06-2021, 17:54   #323
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not if it adds new customers, it doesn't. Anyway, I was talking about discounting, not wholesaling.

Streamers like Apple TV, Discovery+, Britbox and Acorn would benefit from discounting.
The money comes from someone’s bottom line either way, OB.

Quote:
Netflix and Prime not so much as they both have a large existing customer base. The latter two might benefit more from discounted first years for Virgin customers who were not already subscribers.
Yet Netflix are discounting to Sky customers and Amazon to Vodafone customers.

It’s only when you have an established customer base that strategic discounting becomes more viable - the content costs are there anyway and the marginal cost of an additional subscriber is near zero.

For the fledgeling providers, while in their desperation it’s likely, in practice it puts them further from a sustainable business model not closer to one.

Quote:
I know for a fact that you are not correct when you say this.
Name a single other user who shares your view?

Quote:
What is correct is that some very aggressive linear channel fanatics are trying to beat people who suggest such things into submission.

I will not succomb to this kind of bullying. I am very happy to answer questions on the views you and others express, but it seems to me that you are not interested and you are not listening, which begs the question of why you continue to post on this subject.
Bullying is quite the accusation OB.

In practice you are being asked to evidence your view and you cannot.

Quote:
I have been saying for 6 years now that by 2035, I believe that our scheduled channels as currently presented will no longer exist.
What do you mean “as currently presented”? This sounds like another Pluto TV goalpost shift.

Quote:
I have said that the change would be gradual at first but after a few years, scheduled channels as we know them now would start to close. This is already happening.

In the last year, the following channels have closed:

Home & Health
Discovery Shed
Travel Channel
VH1
3 MTV channels
Lifetime
All 3 children's Disney channels
Sky Cinema Disney

....to mention those that come to mind.

The most significant of these are Disney's channels, because the content remains available, but only on the streamer.

To you and others arguing that the prediction I have made is not a viable proposition, this should be sounding alarm bells, but it isn't. You continually preach the same message despite your arguments disintegrating before you.

I might as well just sit back now and let you eventually come to terms with the fact that you were wrong.

I note that you claim that if only one channel survives, you will have been proved right. Well, that shows how confident you are!
OB it is you who created the “one channel” bar for the rest of us by dogmatically insisting no linear channels. None. When others make the point they believe there will be (often far) fewer you still tell them they are wrong, it will not be financially viable. Not even to run a 24 hour advert for a streaming service into every home in the land.

No linear channels is just that. Zero. Not “freeview”, not a basic service of four free to air channels, not six, not fifteen, not thirty.

It’s zero.

Last edited by jfman; 15-06-2021 at 18:03.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote