View Single Post
Old 14-06-2021, 21:07   #317
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This is just fantasy, you know. I have said the linear channels will close years ago and I was derided for expressing such an opinion. Now it’s actually started to happen, well within my timeframe, you are pleading a special case forDisney. What will be the special case for Discovery channels, which are probably the next in line.
All I see is Disney not managing to acquire Sky. Having a spat with pay-tv providers unwilling to pay the asking price for their channels and throwing their weight behind their streaming service.

As for Discovery.
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2021...ely-happening/

Quote:
Also speaking during the panel was Susanne Aigner, GSVP & GM Germany/Austria/Switzerland and Benelux, Discovery Communications. She said that while consumption of on-demand content is growing, “There is no linear vs digital [for Discovery]. It’s a co-existence… we’re providing offers for different customers in different situations.” The exec said that, from Discovery’s findings, “the tiniest number” of consumers are only using OTT, and that it complements traditional consumption.
They seem quite happy with the co-existence of streaming and scheduled content and have actually said as much.

Quote:
As for adding these streamers to TV platforms, how do you explain the streamers we already have on Sky, Virgin Media and BT? How do you explain Roku and Amazon Fire?
Amazon Fire is simple, Amazon wants everyone to buy its devices, it is a major marketing opportunity for their wider business. Roku are selling devices, that is their business. So was Now TV but why did they stop? They were supplying subsidised devices which customers could then use to watch content from their competitors. They no longer provide devices. That will, largely be the case for the pay-tv providers. Pay-tv providers are selling channel bundles, that is where their income comes from. If they were to totally lose that income and become rent collectors for global streamers their business model would collapse.

Quote:
Whatever the economic arguments you may have, please just acknowledge that it is already happening!
Is it?

Quote:
You are personalising this as if it’s my fault!
Not really, just responding to your points.

Last edited by epsilon; 14-06-2021 at 21:25.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote