View Single Post
Old 18-09-2015, 10:59   #77
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New DSLReports speedtester

Hardware vendors don't release the best they've got because it's too expensive.

10GBase-T has been around since 2006. If there were demand for it there would be more units produced and it would be more common.

You're complaining about 10GBase-T being an unnecessary incremental upgrade. I'm just pointing out that it is not. Something is needed to fill the gap as 10GBase-T hasn't come close to the levels of usage it was expected to originally.

Of course hardware vendors don't release their absolute state of the art as consumer products except in rare occasions like GPUs where some nutters will pay nearly £1k for a graphics card. It's. Too. Expensive.

Intel have been making 16 core CPUs, yes. How many people run applications that actually make use of 16 cores? I have a machine that has 16 cores, 2 x 8 core Xeon. It's my home lab machine and runs ESXi. I rarely have it switched on as it eats electricity like a beast and blasts out so much heat it raises the temperature noticeably in the floor above. I would suggest that's not a common usage scenario, so they have been targeted at businesses.

The big power whores for CPUs are gamers, for whom most games don't make much use of multithreading and fewer, faster cores are preferable, and things like video transcoding, which is something that lends itself well to multithreading but will be done on enterprise kit.

It's the same argument as with broadband. People don't want to pay for the latest and greatest for the most part, they just want good enough. The vast majority of VM's customer base continue to take the lowest sold product.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote