View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48   #696
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Just a quick question. If people do cancel VM, who are they going to change to? I'm sure I read that there is no point changing over to asdl because they all use the BT network. Is this true? Sounds unlikely to me.
Yup BE also for me.

Just in case you may have missed it, Phorm's CEO KentErtugrul hosted a public question and answer session last tonight on the Phorm system and how it works. You will find an unedited transcript of the session here - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?10

makes for very interesting reading. There are many parts I could comment on, but two parts in particular stood out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentErtugrul
If you look at your browser right now, you will see that perhaps hundreds of cookies have traked your activity online. You never gave permission for any of that, they all store where you have been and shutting off cookies makes the internet basically unusable. Wold it not be better to have something far more useful from an advertiser's perspective, which stores no data at all as to browsing history and for the first time gives users a clear and readily accessible on / off switch?
Feel like your having your intelligence insulted yet?

how about this instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksg/KentErtugrul
Ksg: How does Phorm advantage us as a user?
KentErtugrul: Good question with several answers. Webwise brings the following benefits to users:

1) Reduces the amount of irrelevant advertising which you see as you browse
2) Long term, reduces the amount of advertising which you see altogether
3) Dramatically enhances the landscape of online privacy by introduding, for the first time, a system which is completely anonymous, keeps no record of where you ahev been or what you have searched for and gives you a clear and transparent on/ off switch
4) Makes many more of the websites which you visit much more profitable, making the internet a more vibrant, interesting and relevant place to be
5) Protects you from online fraud without having to download software, switch it on or update it. Remember that the most likely victims of phishing attacks are the least likely to to have taken the necessary steps to protect themselves
6) Allows ISPs to give you a better quality internet
7) Creates a "Google while browsing" web experience
8) Creates many other additional opportunities which we will be presenting in the future, each of which is very beneficial and each of which, like webwise, will always be an open choice on the part of users as to whether or not to embrace
Take note of point 8 especially "Creates many other additional opportunities which we will be presenting in the future". Meaning once our system is in place, we may at any time change, amend or introduce added 'functionality' to Phorm as we see fit. That I suspect is the true nature of Phorm.