View Single Post
Old 30-12-2019, 19:37   #7099
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You don't sound as confident as you did a mere half a dozen posts ago.

On the contrary Old Boy it is you who consistently only sees things one way. Streaming is the future. Death to linear television. The date slides, as with every generation of Nostradamus books but the core message is the same.

I on the other hand see a rich and diverse future, with more ways than ever before for people to enjoy television. Linear. PVR. On Demand. Streaming. These are truly the halcyon days of television - you should sit back and enjoy it more rather than offer us doom and gloom about how our TV packages will become worthless and we will need to subscribe to half a dozen streamers at greater cost just to enjoy the content we get now!
I am confident that Netflix will succeed. I am just acknowledging that failure is a remote possibility.

If the range of TV choices is what you and others want, then I hope for your sakes that it comes about. I don't have anything against that. I am simply pointing out that rationalisation is far more likely as demand for traditional TV continues to decline.

You're the economics guy. You tell me why content providers should continue to provide all these channels in the longer term. It's all very well you saying they can be run on a shoestring, but you can't do that with decent content. Whilst it's true that content providers need to pay anyway for their VOD content, they have to pay separately to screen that content on live TV. I just cannot see how that would be worthwhile. In the end, only the most efficient providers with quality content will survive. Why would they want to saddle themselves with unnecessary cost and effort?