View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 15:27   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Some thoughts on possible future Freeview capacity usage at MPEG4 switchover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’d not waste too much energy on it. By the time it’s considered (and applied) it’ll be near redundant.
It was just a thought exercise. I find it oddly enjoyable organising/planning things like that in my head.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The vast majority of transposer kit has been DVB-T2 compatible for some time & its more than likely most of this kit will already be in place. Arqiva has provided all the transmission services for the BBC since 2006 & with the commercial services in their control for considerably longer there is likely to be commonality across all equipment at these relay sites. The biggest issue that is still going on is swapout of the older type 700Mhz retransmission panels that are not efficient below these frequencies.
So I guess the individual cost of these panels, and how many need changing will be a major deciding factor as to whether the multiplex that gets removed is a PSB one or a commercial one?

Given the amount of space, I can see it now, "you won't see much benefit, you'll get pretty much the same channels, at the same quality, but you need to upgrade". I know they won't start it until DVB-T2 equipment is estimated to be in something like 70% of households, but it'll be a harder sell. Especially to Relay dependant households.

Fortunately I get a decent main transmitter signal (I even get COM 7 & 8) despite being in a Relay Area, so if 700Mhz clearance retunes don't change reception quality I won't be getting a reduced service compare to those officially served by the main transmitter. I will have to get some new tuners though as 3 of the 4 Freeview tuners aren't compatible, though only 2 boxes would need replaced as only 2 TVs have Freeview as their sole signal.

But there's no rush, it's just a bit of fun speculating.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote