View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52   #3668
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
You put tax on large gambling winnings. If you are broke there won't be a lot of difference between winning £100M or £90M it's still life changing and there's an extra £10M in government coffers. Extend that to wins abroad, foreign lotteries and the like.

The difficulty would be defining "large win" so that lots of small wins accumulated would not be counted where maybe it should. Maybe everyone gets a winnings allowance and over that is taxed but policing and collecting that would be hard.

But whatever happens I bet (groan!) the really rich would find ways to avoid it, so I guess could really big winners, e.g. put the money abroad, have a credit card linked to that and away you go, the money never sees the UK, never taxed.
Big gambling winnings? Almost an oxymoron, Tweetiepooh, the way the odds run.

My advice is at your risk.