View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03   #1379
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Renewals & Cancellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I believe once the novelty of a woman doctor wears off and the viewers dip to unacceptable levels the makers will have to think again. Let's just hope they don't decide the doctor should be a dog or an ape!
You are, of course, assuming the viewer levels will dip. They may do, and I am sure the BBC will have discussions of what to do if that happens. However, you may find that the fans put off by a female doctor are more than adequately replaced by new fans who feel they can identify with a female doctor more.

I don't actually care whether the doctor is male or female, as long as the stories are good (with well written characters) and they are acted well.

You may say that's as a result of the increasing political correctness of the show, but I don't think it is. I've watched Doctor Who since I was about 7 (which would be around the start of the Tom Baker era), and I never even thought about the gender of the doctor. With each regeneration, I've often known little about the actors, so had no real expecations, and tried to keep an open mind.

Besides, until the new series, the Doctor never really did anything that was particularly gender specific anyway. Yes, he did frequently fight bad guys, but women are capable of fighting as well. Even in the new series, the character hasn't done anything particularly gender specific, although had David Tennant's Doctor been female, that would have meant Rose was a lesbian.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote