Thread: Football Euro 2020
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2021, 10:35   #145
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
It’s isn’t up to me to solve the issue. All I know is it’s clear that all we’ve had so far is gestures.

Again don’t get me wrong, we should never give up the fight against this racism. It just needs to be tackled smarter, not harder.

The anti-racism groups seem to think that all they have to do is get their message across powerfully enough and it’s going to make the abusers see the error of their ways. Spectacular level of naivety.

They also seem to think that shutting the racists down, banning and cancelling them will also do the same. Whist I agree that we should have to see, read or hear racist abuse that doesn’t tackle the problem either. As previously mentioned, Katie Hopkins and Trump both got booted off Twitter, they’re now on Parler.

I may not have the answer but that does exclude me from pointing out when methods don’t work.
Not making any gesture, suggests we're happy with the status quo. The events of the last week and the abuse certain England footballers got prove we have a bigger issue than ever and we shouldn't run away or ignore it.

(btw never heard of Parler, doesn't sound as though I'd like it ! )

Some new that will probably not please you:-
Quote:
Great Britain's women's football squad will take the knee before their games at the Tokyo Olympic Games this month.

Earlier this month, it was announced rules around athletes protesting at Tokyo 2020 had been relaxed by the International Olympic Committee.

Team GB head coach Hege Riise said the squad "were all united" in their decision to make the gesture.

"We are glad that the IOC have acknowledged the importance of this form of freedom of expression."

Players in the women's and men's game have been taking the knee to highlight racial injustice.

She added: "We were all united in our decision to continue doing whatever we can to raise awareness of racism and discrimination in all its forms, standing in unity and solidarity with all those whose lives are affected.

"We are clear that taking the knee is an important symbol of peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice and inequality in society."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57846090
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote