Thread: Home WiFi woes
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 08:40   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Home WiFi woes

Can anyone suggest any clever fixes here? I can get 100Mbps or more from my home internet set up (4G modem/router with EE and an external antenna) but I’m having difficulties getting much of it into the corner of the room where my tv is. As you can see from the picture, in the same corner of the room, the tv gets 6.6Mbps while the iPad achieves 83. (When I ran the same test with the iPad elsewhere in the room I was getting over 100Mpbps).

I know that the iPad is on my router’s 5GHz band and the TV is on the 2.4GHz band. The TV can’t use 5GHz (apparently no Samsung TVs made before 2018 can). I have repeated the experiment with the Roku Express from the spare bedroom with similar results - it’s a little better because I can move it round a bit. But it seems it, too, is restricted to the 2.4GHz band.

I have been into the router admin pages and experimented with forcing it to use different channels; it is now set to channel 6 which was the best by far.

I can’t move the router because it is attached to an external antenna which has to be suckered to an upstairs bedroom window in order for us to get any decent 4G signal at all.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I’m out of options, short of doing serious, intrusive DIY to bring a network cable through the ceiling and into the living room. Although I am curious whether one of the more upmarket streaming products will work on 5GHz. The Roku website doesn’t seem to want to confirm whether their enhanced 4K products will do this.

Help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 218004D2-E47B-4682-8191-32B0D800F8FA.jpeg (55.5 KB, 90 views)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote