Thread: Superhub Netgear Orbi and SH3
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 15:12   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Netgear Orbi and SH3

they won't touch 3rd party stuff that they don't support. They will install another coax for you running from the box on the side of your house to wherever you want but it will be a direct external wan connection for the shub (as if you were moving it to another room) and they won't run any other type of internal cable for you. As an fyi last time I checked there was a flat rate charge of £99 for any equipment moving. When I setup my network back in 2012 and wanted to connect all the TV's, sky boxes, bluray players, pc's, nas', printers etc in the house. I ran what cables I could upstairs under the carpet to switches in different rooms and then I had an electrician come up and drill another hole through the wall (next to where the coax for Sky comes into one of the bedrooms), run some cat5e down the side of the house and then another hole in the wall (next to where Sky goes in downstairs) and feed it through to the switch down there. There is one switch downstairs and two upstairs that serve as access layer switches which connect to a distribution layer switch which connected to my Asus router. Everything now has a wired connection that needs it and the laptops, tablets and phones etc still have the wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
the Orbi is a mesh WiFi
I'll need to read up on mesh wifi and get back to you

Edit: I have had a quick read and the Orbi sounds great for what it is supposed to do. I think I got a bit confused earlier because I read that the satellites (Netgear's name for the wifi extenders) needed to be connected to a power socket. I assumed it was for data transmission but it is purely for power. Each satellite maintains its connection to one another and the router via a point to point wifi connection so the thing which I am worried about for you is how well it is going to work up in the loft if you only have the router and one satellite. I would have thought that you would still have the same range/weak signal problem that you would if you was trying to use a laptop to connect to any router downstairs. I am wondering if you'll need to place a satellite on the first floor of the house to act as a relay/go between and then a second in the loft for what you actually want it to do. The loft will connect to the first floor one which will connect to the router. If you go for a 3 pack you are looking at £300 minimum.

Last edited by General Maximus; 06-01-2018 at 15:55.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote