View Single Post
Old 29-05-2018, 22:26   #1
iSteve
Inactive

Services: Freeview + TUTV, BT Broadband 1MB
iSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud ofiSteve has much to be proud of
Whatever Happened to Virgin IPTV?

Gosh, has it really been 11 years since I popped by and posted here? Has the forum really been going that long? Last time I posted I believe the forum was still called nthellworld, and I was working for them (NTL).

Anyhoo. Hey All!

One of the gizmos I still remember most fondly using is the TiVo PVR v1 (Thomson). I acquired one whilst working for NTL, and I remember a lot of fans of the technology worked in the technical divisions of NTL. I was pleased to see that NTL's successor did what Sky failed to do, and breathed new life into this cool technology, by embracing it for use in their network in a way Sky never truly did, despite partnering with TiVo for UK exclusive rights (shame on them!)

However, less pleasant is the fact this means that I -- now living in an offnet area -- cannot ever again experience the joys of using TiVo to help me manage my TV viewing habits.

But what's this I see... articles about Virgin Media branching out, expanding their network into offnet areas by utilising the broadband network via something called IPTV? What a brilliant idea! I can see it now..

The Virgin FourPlay Offering:
1. Telephone
2. Mobile
3. High speed fibre to the home/cabinet broadband.
4. Offnet Virgin Cable via IPTV with TiVo

I see an article from 2007 .. but then another announcing roll out has been delayed until 2009. Then another article saying they're beginning trials of the technology in Cornwall. Then ... NOTHING.

What happened? Did the trials take place? What did people think of the service? Did they dismiss the idea as unworkable or did Virgin really completely forget about it for the next 9 years?

I really, really want my TiVo and I'd love a multi-channel alternative to Sky. With everything and eveyone now seemingly moving to streaming services, why oh why isn't Virgin moving in this area?

Virgin doesn't appear to be offering any offnet services at all now. A search on my postcode informs me there are NO services in my area. Have Virgin really retreated to their limited cable footprint, and thrown in the towel and given up on the rest of the country altogether? It doesn't seem a very sensible strategy for growth!

I'd love to hear your thoughts and insights on this issue!

Oh, and greetings to anyone who was actually a member of this forum back in 2006 and is still here now!

Last edited by iSteve; 29-05-2018 at 22:29.
iSteve is offline   Reply With Quote