View Single Post
Old 22-03-2008, 19:18   #1637
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Mesmer, your not that No.27 are you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm a new member of this forum and I confess I haven't read every single message concerning this contentious issue. Please forgive me if I cover a topic that has already been exhausted.

CW's decision to sign up with Phorm was regrettable. However, they should be given some credit for giving a relatively prompt assurance that they will not mirror, intercept or permit Phorm surveillance of data unless the customer concerned actively chooses to opt in.

Virgin's vague marketing type statement about customers being able to keep their Internet experience just as it is now simply isn't good enough.

Virgin need to make some clear unambiguous statements that properly address all the legitimate concerns put to them by their customers.

Perhaps, Virgin would do well to consider the potential damage caused by a further erosion of customer confidence if they continue their deafening silence on this topic.

Does anyone have any idea of what Virgin's obligations are concerning their "provisional" contract with Phorm?

It would be helpful to know what they mean by provisional and whether or not they could become liable to pay damages for breach of contract.
i dont remember any such official 'will not mirror, intercept or permit Phorm surveillance of data' statement, but perhaps i missed it ?

regarding the provisional comercial contract, YES thats exactly what i thought.

there MUST be something in that signed contract that will cost them dearly, otherwise you would expect them to run the numbers and come to the conclusion its not werth the loss at this time.

apparently it would seem, given the VM hush,they are infact in deep on the cash and related front if they back out now.

perhaps if and when Virgin Media run a Phorm trial, that gives them some breathing room!

OC as i pointed out above somewere, Neil couldnt really be held to a comercial contract or its cash liabilitys that deemed they act unlawfully could they.

perhaps he's waiting to see something with a legal stamp, VM do keep quoting the vague nothing will be put in place for a long time ,it seems they are just waiting for one of the others to break or give them a way out perhaps.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I asked them to confirm that they had received and noted on my account the fact that i do not, will not and have not given them permission to use my data or to pass my data through a profiling device.

I asked them to confirm that they had done this even if they have not started to profile. They have not confirmed at this time that they has carried out my request to update my account notes.

The fact that they sent a standard ******** letter is what has annoyed me the most. They could not even be bothered to answer any of the questions that was asked and they did not carry out my instructions

When i issue a NON compliance i will also request a complete copy of my account information as stored on there computers. I will pay them the £10.00 that is needed for that.

The whole point of my letter is to let them understand that we as customers will not role over and allow them to sell our private data to a company that is in my eye's nothing more than a spywere company that i have been infected by before in there previous life as 121 media..
thats the ticket Sirius, let them know your ready to use your power of official Notice

you will have to wait the alotted time frame (40 days was it, although i think it may be less , someone needs to check that official timeframe perhaps)though before you can action a non compliance.

and sending a DPA request for 'any and all' data held by return post, and in human readable form (thats a LOT of data,paper and time for a £10) before the time lines up, means they might not have actioned the notice before the DPA request arrived.

sure, we all know they should have, but they can use that defense if they like , they have no such option if you wait the full time allowed per letter though.