Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2021, 11:03   #4211
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Where is your evidence that a block on IP rights is being imposed and is causing delays? For the AZ vaccine, the only requirement that might be a sticking point, is that it has to be supplied at cost.
The EU is threatening to hijack IP rights, but then what? They would still need to build and set up any manufacturing sites, and that takes time. Are they planning to produce AZ vaccine for a profit?
I wasn't referring to the EU specifically but it stands to reason that if anyone could manufacture any of the vaccines it would ramp up production.

While there would be some scope for unscrupulous profiteering in the short term as supply ramped up to meet demand this would be limited.

My only point was that limiting who can (and where) a vaccine can be manufactured creates supply side blocks. Even when the UK, EU and USA have all been vaccinated we are some considerable distance from the "entire planet" being vaccinated which was the point I was addressing about delays in the French under 55s being vaccinated.