View Single Post
Old 28-10-2020, 15:56   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: New 4G router or Antenna

No worries...

Also, I should be clearer, you will normally see the power and quality expressed as negative numbers so while I'm saying you want the figure to get down as low as possible actually what you're looking for is the highest value possible ... i.e -3 is better than -7, -90 is better than -104.

Also, the best speed test I've had with the Huawei B818 attached to that Poynting antenna (suckered to the inside of a bedroom window until I get time to do some DIY) is 119Mbps down, 16.8Mbps up, coincidentally first thing this morning. We are 4 miles from our local EE mast and the antenna has line of sight (but only just) over the treetops. The B818 is a Category 19 router and is theoretically capable of well over 1Gbps download, but that requires technologies to be installed in the cell tower that isn't even always present in urban areas, much less rural spots like ours. Our good download speed is a combination of a well placed external antenna, reasonable proximity to the cell tower and lack of stress on the cell due to it being in a fairly remote area. I'm fairly sure the theoretical maximum I can get out of this cell is 150/50, so I'm very happy with where things are at right now.

Last edited by Chris; 28-10-2020 at 16:09.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote