View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 17:34   #2352
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: What game are you playing

Star Wars Squadrons in VR.

On the plus side, it is nice feeling you are in the various Star Wars craft, but the game has major problems.

1) It's flaky, and frequently crashes. Yes, my machine is up to date, and is more than powerful enough to run the game in VR..
2) All of the missions in the "story" follow pretty much the same structure. Travel somewhere, destroy smaller ships, travel somewhere else, destroy a larger ship. I believe occasionally, you are required to travel somewhere else and destroy a star destroyer or Rebel capital ship (the missions alternate between the empire and the rebels, so you play both sides). I've been doing that for 6 hours of gameplay now, and, to be frank, I am bored.

What story there is has clearly been put there just to get you from mission to mission. The characters are one dimensional, there is no character development and your character(s) don't even have names, let alone have any impact on the story. I say they have no impact, because it seems to me you have to repeat every mission until you beat it, so there is no failure. No alternate branch the story can take because you failed.

Don't get me wrong. I know this is Star Wars, and while I love the films and games, no Star Wars product is ever going to be a literary masterpiece, but the films at least do have some variety, some humour and some character development. There is actually more of all that in the trailer for this game than there is in the game..

Sorry EA, but while this game is very pretty, and sounds good, and may well have good multiplayer, you've missed the mark in terms of gameplay for me. This, combined with the fact that EA have already announced that there will be no DLC for this game suggests to me that EA have actually sold us a tech demo. Or they are dipping their toes in the VR Waters to see what happens, but don't want to commit to a AAA budget for it.

Everyone else, if you like multiplayer space or flight shooters, then this game is apparently good, but for me, I don't like multiplayer games of any description, and the single player game ain't good enough.

Last edited by Stuart; 10-10-2020 at 17:48.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote