View Single Post
Old 20-08-2019, 13:04   #438
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Interesting, Richard. Thanks.

I'm kinda surprised, I thought they might just continue to push UKTVPlay and get rid of all their +1s, as +1s don't exactly get sparkling ratings and the running costs would surely be less. And people are moving toward streaming and Catch-up over +1s.

The running costs for Dave Ja Vu on Freeview particularly can't be worthwhile, given that platform's relatively much higher running costs. It would surely be more worthwhile for them to make Eden FTA and use Dave Ja Vu's Freeview slot. Eden's ratings are by far the lowest of the UKTV Pay channels they still have.
The +1's are cheap to produce and allow channels to get more eyeballs on their adverts, so they can charge more and make more profit.

For those who record everything they can still be useful as, even with the 6 V6 tuners, there are still occasions where this isn't enough! They're also useful to have a further chance to record something if a recording is interrupted for some reason.

I take your point about streaming/catch up services though, so who knows how long the timeshift channels will continue.

I hope they are around for a long time to come, as I prefer to watch a recording over streaming, my reasons are that a recording isn't time limited, catch up services often don't have subtitles, I can't use Quickview and it's not as easy to control the stream as it is a recording due to the delay in the command being processed over the internet.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote