View Single Post
Old 18-10-2021, 22:55   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New NAS drive required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Why do some have two Ethernet ports, I guess you connect both to the same router?
Quote:
you can either use it as a redundant connection or combine them into higher speed connection. The scenario for redundancy is the NAS will automatically switch to working connection in case the other one lose connectivity (due to failed network card in the NAS, port at the switch/router stop working etc.). The other scenario is to combine both LAN port to build a faster connection which is 2000 Mbps. You will need a switch that supports Link Aggregation Group (LAG) for that purpose. You gain benefit in this setup if you have 10Gbps network or you connect the NAS directly to PC (that has 2 LAN port too)
Sounds like a nice willy waving feature to have but would you really benefit from it? My NAS is fast enough as it is and all the important stuff and bulky file transfers happen over night so those extra few seconds make no different whatsoever for me.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote