Old 20-02-2018, 13:59   #13
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: They're at it again, part 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
It's not the actual cost with which I have issues - it's their entire attitude. At one point way, way back in 2000 or thereabouts, I actually was going to get a TV, Sky etc. - but I got so ticked off I decided against!

To explain: my Mum, rest her soul, was recording things for me to watch when I stayed over at weekends. But her video recorder went and died on us. But I had a plan: I bought one, intending to lend it to Mum until she could afford to get a new one, then I would take mine home and get a TV - AND A LICENCE - to go with it. Since the plan was for me to eventually use it at my home, it only made sense to give my address when I was asked for it, in case it ever needed repair or whatever,

What I didn't know at the time was that high street shops (and now online ones) are required by law to give the name and address of the purchaser of any equipment capable of receiving TV transmissions...e.g. video recorders. So the next thing I know I'm receiving letters from TV Licensing saying I didn't have a licence...which I already knew, so I ignored them.

But they kept coming, thus ticking me off more and more. I couldn't understand why they were pursuing me (didn't find out till later).

End result: "Sod it!" I said. The recorder never made it to my flat. I didn't get a TV and abandoned all plans to do so.

Which brings us to now. Nothing's changed for me. Nothing's going to.

I refuse on principle to get a TV until this whole licensing thing has died the death it so richly deserves, which I suspect will be any year now.
They won't know you have a TV now as you don't have to give your details.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote