View Single Post
Old 19-02-2018, 17:35   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry They're at it again, part 326

- at least, that's the way it feels.

Yes, folks, TV Licensing have sent me another 'Enforcement Visit' love letter!

There're some impressively frightening statistics quoted: "Last year, we visited an address every 5 seconds" and every day they "knocked on over 10,000 doors".

Yeah. About the only way such feats might be accomplished is via teleportation and/or time travel.

I can't see any point in taking even the small amount of time to visit their site and tell them I don't need a TV licence - because they'll still come anyway. Well, let 'em. I've never used iPlayer; I've only ever even visited the site once - and there's no longer even a record of that on my laptop following the recent nuke event (the remote access scam).

In fact I had another nuke event yesterday; after multiple failed attempts to remove 'Create shortcut' from the context menu (allegedly it is possible, but none of the utilities I tried worked), Windows got so peeved it decided not to let the taskbar work any more. Or the Control Panel. Or the Command Prompt. Or any icon. The only way to fix this was to reinstall again. Lesson learned.

Hmm. I've just read in the letter that you need a licence if you access iPlayer via another provider such as Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT or Amazon. Now that's just puzzling; why would you even need to? Just go straight to the iPlayer site, surely?

Actually I'm not sure a TV would work even if I had one, because the aerial socket hasn't been upgraded to digital - I did get a letter about this from Bolton At Home a few years ago, but I didn't bother putting in for it because, of course, I didn't have or want a TV, so there was no need.

There's virtually nothing I'd want to watch on TV - and most of what I would watch I can get on DVD, or on Amazon Prime (I'm still debating about Netflix - how much is it now?).

I read. A lot. Over 40+ years I've accumulated over 1200 books. I have over 100 DVDs. I play retro computer games (arcade ROMs via MAME, X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter, and even the Windows games such as Solitaire, Minesweeper, Mahjong and even Pinball). Plus I write fanfiction, mostly UFO at the moment. Who needs TV for entertainment? I don't.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 19-02-2018 at 17:41.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote