View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 11:20   #524
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Sir Keir Starmer elected as new Labour leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Let's be honest all leaders have parties they are beholdent to. Personally l couldn't care less who paid for what . Not so simple to think that trade union s don't ' fund " LABOUR . IF THATS THE BEST. THE NEWS CAN FIND . L will stop looking at all
It's not the funding, it's the hiding of where the funding is coming from.

We know that the Unions fund Labour - it's documented, so can be commented upon. We know that businesses contribute to the Tories - it's documented, so it can be queried.

If any politicians is hiding where their funds are coming from, it means they can be influenced without the knowledge of the Electorate - that is the whole point of the Members Interest Register and the Ministers Code of Conduct; transparency, openness, and the ability for other to say "hold on a minute, that group just gave you Łnnnn, and now you've passed a bill/spoken in Parliament/had a meeting with Ministers about them".

Also, it can be used as leverage if it's below the radar - "hey, remember that Łnnnn I gave you just before you supported a Bill that benefited my cause/business/Union? It would be a shame if that was leaked to the media...".

We know a lot of politicians are lying, cheating, dishonest poltroons - that's why we have processes and procedures to try and limit the more egregious exceptions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote