View Single Post
Old 29-01-2019, 13:50   #35
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Smart meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Any forcing is because they're supposed to be universal by 2020, perhaps there will be penalty charges for the suppliers who don't meet this impossible target

They couldn't fit one to my place when I foolishly applied a few years ago because my mobile signal is non existent and their device couldn't phone home (I use a signal box booster so I get a phone signal) but the installer pointed out, whilst I may have, when I move the next person may not and then their machine won't work so no install, thankfully as I've since changed my view and will stay with a 'thick' as opposed to a 'smart' meter.

Additionally the early adopters have found out or will (and we're talking thousands of installs here) that their lovely smart meter will turn thick if they ever switch supplier

Because the things were rolled out before the technology was mature.

SMETS1 is the thing to check for if you have one or want one, this won't be smart come switchover time.
SMETS2 is a newer standard and this will allow a switch and remain smart.

All a bit of a joke really.
I've read that they are working on a new software download to make the first version useable with all suppliers in the same way that version 2 is.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote