View Single Post
Old 14-08-2008, 18:17   #14048
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Did you inform the officer that you were recording the call? If you didn't and make the information avaliable you are breaking the RIPA act 2000 there are exceptions to the act but would you really be willing to run the risk especially as the whole basis of your agrument is based on privacy, does he deserve none then?

Of course I could be wrong and you informed him he was being taped and the officer concerned is just very dim.
Individuals may record private phone calls so long as the phone call is not made available to a third party.

Now, assuming Alex made the notes by hand and kept the recording as evidence in case he should want to check his notes, I'm not sure what the legal position would be, but investigative journalists and even general reporters would have a problem. If I can't say I spoke to X about Y and he said ... then we would have a serious problem!

Check the Ofcom website:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...qs/prvfaq3.htm

Quote:
Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.