View Single Post
Old 25-07-2008, 07:04   #12697
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Oh yes. Yes indeedy. And they deny everything.

Then they revealed that they had done a 'lab' trial. But they won't reveal what content was used to test that lab trial.

And the transparent proxies they were using up until 2007, or at least, the ones Alex Brown denied explicitly in 2006 but VM now admit were present, were nothing to do with Phorm. Supposedly.
A Poster on the VM.Feedback NG, a few months ago, suggested that the 'Lab' Trial had taken place in 'Lab 3', and also suggested that 'Lab 3' is an area in the North of England - not a Business Premises, but a Residential Area full of paying customers!!! This has not yet been confirmed - so any ex Telewest/NTL/VM Employees wish to confirm/deny this?

Also, I experienced a considerable amount of difficulties with browsing during the end of last year, and the beginning of this year. This including webpages being stripped of all content over and above Plain text and Hyperlinks - whereas there were no issues with either the connection (visibly), browser or PC - and the issues stopped as suddenly as they started!!! Additionally the issues included a great deal of 'hanging' requiring an 'F5' or 'Ctl-R' Refresh/page reload - with a substantial amount of these leading to 404s. Oh and one more thing - particularly on Facebook and MySpace, I found alot of Visible JScript on User Profiles; this was in January/February this year - and I did not take Screen Prints as I thought this (as it may well have been) was an issue with the two named sites.

Then, I had noticed that the routing has clearly changed whilst browsing, ie most of my traffic would be routed quickly to the net, however there are additional hops; and my traffic now mostly goes through English VM Exchanges opposed to the most direct route (I live in Scotland)!! Of course this may be due to consolidation within the Network, however the questions I asked of VM have not been, or attempted to be, answered.

Of course this all may be the result of innocent actions within the VM Network, but then I ask why the secrecy?

---------- Post added at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Unfortunately, the freedom of information act only applies to public bodies. Private companies are under no obligation to disclose anything they don't want to unless ordered to do so by a court or their particular industry regulator. Somehow, I don't think Virgin Media is going to volunteer any information to the public domain on the subject of it's involvement with Phorm...
FOI maybe - but for Customers of VM who feel there may have been issues, and wish for the details, they have every right to access every piece of information pertaining to their account, via the DPA.